Easy Activities to Prevent Summer Slide
Studies show that children who do not read or have access to books during the summer lose up to two months of reading performance. Those losses accumulate during the elementary school years so that by the time a child enters middle school he/she may be 2 1/2 years behind! All children, whether from low, middle or upper income families, may fall victim to the “summer slide” if not provided with summer reading opportunities. So how can you prevent the summer slide or, better yet, even accelerate reading growth? Here are some helpful websites.
- https://www.khanacademy.org/ -Practice exercises, instructional videos and personalized learning. Contains useful content, organized by grade level and in line with curriculum.
- https://www.abcya.com/ -Educational games for school aged children (K-6).
- https://www.funbrain.com/ -Interactive games, books, videos and printables to help students develop skills in reading, math, problem solving and literacy.
- https://www.spellingcity.com/ -Spelling practice and games for school aged children.
- https://www.coolmathgames.com/ -A brain-training site for everyone! Use logic, thinking and math to play fun games.
- https://www.getepic.com/ -Online reading websites. Provides many books and read-to-me books and videos.