The holidays are a great time to teach children compassion and empathy for others. It is easy for children to be excited to receive gifts, but how do we develop the same enthusiasm for giving? Here are some examples of how you can involve your child in the joy of giving.
- Let your child shop for a few gifts for others using their own money
- Do a holiday craft or bake cookies to give to neighbors or friends
- Let your children wrap a few gifts themselves
- Have your child make cards for others
- Give your child the opportunity to present the gift to someone so they can see the joy it brings
- Volunteer in a local soup kitchen or participate in Toys for Tots
PBS Kids This is a great site for kids of all ages featuring all of your kids’ favorite characters from PBS!
Random House Featuring books, activities, games and more all surrounding your favorite characters from Random House Books! This is a great way to make books come alive for little ones!
Starfall Education This is a great website for learning to read. Starfall takes your kids all the way from ABCs to Learning to Read! There are some fun games and more that surround phonics, sounds and putting sounds together in words! This is great for preschoolers learning to read!
Scholastic Kids There are tons of great videos and games about the environment and science. This is a great website for older children who want to learn about weather, geography and more.
Highlights Kids This site has games, books, crafts and of course hidden pictures.
ABCYa This is another great learning site for kids. There is everything from counting games, to graphing, patterns and more. This site is great for learning early math skills.
National Geographic Kids This is a great site for exploring our world and learning all you can about the ocean, animals, geography and more! There is a TON of information on this site and also some great videos, puzzles and quizzes!