In the event of a closing or delay, East Guernsey will communicate all delays, cancellations, early dismissals on the website, Twitter, Facebook, automated calls as well as local news outlets.
Monthly Archives: December 2019
The holidays are a great time to teach children compassion and empathy for others. It is easy for children to be excited to receive gifts, but how do we develop the same enthusiasm for giving? Here are some examples of how you can involve your child in the joy of giving.
- Let your child shop for a few gifts for others using their own money
- Do a holiday craft or bake cookies to give to neighbors or friends
- Let your child wrap a few gifts themselves
- Have your child make cards for others
- Give your child the opportunity to present the gift to someone so they can see the joy it brings
- Volunteer in a local soup kitchen or participate in Toys for Tots
*Read bedtime stories.
*Have your child read the grocery list as you shop.
*Write down a recipe for your child’s favorite food.
*Get excited to visit the library.
*Play a board game and have your child read the cards.
*Don’t leave home without it! Always have reading materials available to read in the car or at appointments.
*Once is not enough. Re-read favorite stories to help build fluency, speed and accuracy.
*Dig Deeper! Ask your child questions about what they just read.
*Be patient, correct gently and praise with enthusiasm